Friday, June 27, 2008

They Grow Up So Fast

Snow White will be a licensed driver in just a couple of weeks. I am terrified. She is a great driver, but just thinking about her out there on the road alone makes me feel a little sick in my stomach. Can't I just sit in the passenger seat for the rest of her life? Literally and figuratively?

Thank goodness for our mother-daughter conversations. I can express my fears and concerns, and she can roll her eyes and drive a little faster - pretending not to hear me. Occasionally one of our discussions leads me to believe that her independence will be a good thing. For me and my sanity.

Me: If you have made plans for the weekend, you need to let me know far enough in advance to arrange for your transportation.

Snow White: OK. Why can't you take me?

Me: Because Dad & I are going out with a group of our friends Saturday night.

Snow White: Really? (LOOONNNGGG Pause) Why?

Brat.

6 comments:

Holy Crappers said...

The first one driving is always a tough one, think I drank a whole bottle of wine that evening.

#1

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Thanks for visiting and "living through our vaca!" I do the same with you all!

Here's a word of advice on teen driving...teach her to say a prayer everytime she buckles up..and you do the same.
Believe it or not it's the BEST insurance there is!!!

Hope you don't turn gray to soon!

Tammy said...

WOW. I totally can wait 6 years until my son is old enough to get his driver's permit. I don't even want to think about it!

Thanks for stopping by my place!

DD said...

Well!! My Lanta! Drama in the first degree. I dont even want to think about my kids driving, or gettins smart with me for that matter. ;)

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Tell her you're going out and coming to Portland so you can have lemon drops and check out firefighters with your new BFF! Oh ... and she can't have the car, because you'll need it. (Can you tell what I put my mother through? :)

Holy Crappers said...

I don't teach them how to drive. I also don't like to get in the car with them after they learn. It's a phobia of mine.

peace
#2