Monday, March 9, 2009

South Beach - Week 10

What a difference a week makes!! Last week, I was unable to post for Week 9 because of a FREAKIN' BLIZZARD AND NO POWER FOR TWO DAYS!!! (Sorry. I wasn't fussing at YOU!) This week, the temperatures are hovering in the upper 70's. It sure is a welcome change:)

The warmer temps have me thinking about pool-and-beach season....and about how far I have to go to achieve my goal in the Blogger Butt Smackdown!! Slowly, but surely, I am making progress. How are YOU coming along?? Are you ready to rock that new swimsuit?!

(Insert your own appropriate segue......I'm a blogger, not a writer!)

I went to the store last week and picked up enough items to fill one bag. The cost? $46.00. That's highway robbery!!! How is the economy affecting your grocery-buying habits? Eating healthy is SO much more expensive than just eating to get full. I'd love to hear about your cost-cutting measures, healthy budget recipes, and any other tips that you would like to share.

Personally, I will continue to plan my menus around weekly in-store specials. I'll also continue to stock up on frequently-used items when they go on sale. Isn't that what a vacuum-sealer and a freezer are for? A third plan of action is to pack lunch EVERY day. I have been slacking with this, and only packing once or twice per week.....eating lunch out adds up quickly!

I used to really enjoy planting a vegetable garden each spring. This year, at a minimum, I am going to grow herbs, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini and eggplant. They may end up being planted in containers on my porch, but at least it's a move back in the right direction! Right?

Don't forget to leave your hints and tips in the comment section. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about being frugal.....just don't ask me to make my own laundry detergent:/

16 comments:

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Me~Frugal? LOL
We'll be doing a garden this year too.
Did you get that 1.00 I told you about?

Now about that bathing suit....I'm eating good and it shows =)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Sorry about the double post~you know how I repeat myself!

Unknown said...

I'm not planting a garden this year. Here at the Compound stuff like that is discouraged. But, my neighbor has such a jungle going on right here on the porch, that I might start grazing.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Grandma J makes me laugh so much....
I buy what is on sale and I have been filling the freezer with that stuff.....
I really need to be smacked down from all i have been eating though....bad girl.

HalfAsstic.com said...

Wow! I'm impressed by what you're doing and about to do! And SO HELP ME GAWD, as soon as H is off the bedpan I am cracking her window so I can hear the bell and heading out in the front yard to weed that flower bed! You have inspired me!

Anonymous said...

I have wondered about you ladies on this little challenge!

Good for you for sticking to it, BHE! I haven't even thought of a swimsuit yet. I need to get a tan first!!

Your friend,
Capser

Mental P Mama said...

I was great all week, and then the wheel s fell off yesterday. I ate a POUND of cheddar cheeses. Gah. Back on track today, though;)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

I'm pretty sure I've gained weight, although I wasn't trying to lose. Regardless, it's no good and don't even talk about bathing suits.

I'm definitely gardening this year, even though I don't garden. I figure if I don't save any money, I'll have plenty to blog about for my Home and Garden Series.....

I Am Woody said...

I've found myself clipping coupons. Haven't been organized enough to actually use them but they are clipped, dammit!!

littletoesandcheerios said...

So glad you are still doing well and that you have power! I'm not too frugal of a person soooo...I need more time to think on it. I do buy generic store brand food though. ;)

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

What a great blog you have going here!! Is that me with the big hair you posted?? I used to have big hair. Well......maybe I still do have big hair, lol.
If you have a moment or two of your life to waste,plese drop by and say hello at my blog :)
Take good care and......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Keetha said...

I'll be checking back here to read the comments. Eating healthy is challenge enough - throw keeping the costs sensible and that's a double whammy! I'd love to hear success stories.

Kyle S said...

Ah, Florida. I really miss it some days. :)

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Oooh! I love cost cutting measures! SSG won't be planting a garden, though she has managed to keep a few primroses alive! (She secretly wonders if Predo has been coming over to water them.)

I check out what's on sale each week at the grocery store (you can get the flyers online which proves a welcome distraction for SSG at work) and plan my meals around whatever meat is on sale that week. I also try and eat vegetarian meals as much as I can. They're cheaper and surprisingly filling.

Anonymous said...

I think that I'll plant edible flowers. Enjoy them for a while, then eat them.

Actually, I am thinking of having a garden this year. I just need to figure out how to keep the wild critters out of it.