Monday, August 11, 2008

"Vinny The Forger"

My nephew celebrated his 8th birthday on 8-8-08. Now THAT'S something that would have been nearly impossible to plan! It's hard to believe that he is already eight years old. I remember holding him when he had been in this world a mere 30 minutes or so. It's a little harder to pick him up and hold him now!! He is shown in this photo with his sister (on the right), Snow White, and my dad - a.k.a. PaPa. Don't let that beautiful, innocent face fool you. He is full of mischief. And hugs.


My youngest sister called me a few weeks ago and said that her baby wanted to have a family pool party for his birthday. How can you say no to an eight year old who actually WANTS his family to come to his party? It must be because adults show up with MUCH cooler gifts than kids. He became aware of this at a very young age. Although, I have to give credit where it's due, the gifts from his buddies were impressive.


Shortly after everyone arrived, the boys kicked into high gear - there were balloon fights, there was running in the house, there was ear-splitting laughter. There was also a broken glass. Evidently, balloons are heavier than they look.


With a house full of boys, my sister thought it would be a good idea to get the cake and presents out of the way first. She asked the kids to sit down so we could sing "Happy Birthday" and eat cake and ice cream. For most of them, the concept of sitting still seemed foreign. They did the best they could!


After the gifts were opened, the kids headed out to swim. I really enjoyed watching them play in the pool. Their energy level was mind-boggling. When I stood up to go inside, my nephew made sure to squirt water all over the back of my pants. They were the perfect color to show off EVERY DROP!!!! It's been a LONG time since I've had the back of my clothes soaked. Good times!!


I haven't talked to my sister to find out how the rest of the night went. The boys were sleeping over. It's pretty much a given that my sis was in dire need of a nap yesterday afternoon! I hope she got one.


You may wonder (or you may not) about the title of this post. Yes, my nephew has already begun his life of crime, and we felt it was only appropriate to give him a suitable name. Actually, my mom came up with this name for him after an incident that occurred a couple of years ago.


As a bright, but bored, first grader, this little guy began to get into some trouble at school. He always did his homework, he always did well on his tests, but he just couldn't seem to keep his mouth closed! The teacher began to send notes home to his mother regarding his behavior. My sister would give him a stern talk, then initial his note so he could return it to the teacher. His mom was SO proud of him when he had managed to go to school for three weeks straight without receiving a note. THEN, she got the call. It was the teacher. Evidently, little man HAD received notes during those three weeks. Rather than give them to his mother, he signed her initials and returned the note as if nothing were amiss. He was then able to bask in the love and adoration of his parents. You will never believe how he finally got caught - he wrote the "S" backwards. Hahahahahaha! Heaven knows how long he would have gotten away with it if not for that tiny slip-up! "Vinny The Forger" was born!


I hope he hasn't been sneaking out of bed at night to watch reruns of "The Sopranos." I'm not ready for him to run away and join THAT family!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't help but chuckle at this.- Brilliant! :o}

littletoesandcheerios said...

Oh my! That is really bad but clever at the same time! He's a cutie.

Unknown said...

How adorable is he...I wish I could have been a fly on the wall with all those littly guys running all over. It sounds like a lot of fun. What a beautiful family!

Suz Broughton said...

His shirt even looks like a prisoner's. Ha ha. At least he learned, "crime doesn't pay" early.

Unknown said...

The look on his face is nothing short of 'Pure Oneriness'...He is Adorable!! He seems to favor your Dad...Sounds like all had a great time! And how cool is that to be 8 years Old on 8-8-08...Amazing!!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

His eyes are gorgeous!

Hallie :)

Holy Crappers said...

Very clever child, very clever !!
I like him

#1

QueenofPlanetHotflash said...

Happy Birthday Vinnie who shares the same birthday as myself but I turned 48. Yep thats the talent in a leo lol :o)

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Too precious! I want to come for a pool party! My birthday is Thursday, I'll see you then! ; ) I will also be turning 8. Again. (And your family is ADORABLE!)

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

I think your sister probably needed a stiff drink!!!haha.
Oh, I had my dad's signature down by the time I was in high school. I had lots of appointments.hehe.

Unknown said...

AWWW boys, aren't they something?!

Ok, Where Was I? said...

I LOVE this kid!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Bill's Barbecue...you made me hungry...wait, I am pretty much hungry all the time...

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Do you KNOW how many carbs there are in a biscuit? JEESH!!

Hallie :)

I Am Woody said...

You guys don't stand a chance in a few years!!!!

HalfAsstic.com said...

OH, GAWD! Your sister has her hands full! I am thinking it's only going to get worse for a while! hahaha

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

That is one clever young man. I like the way he thinks.

Keeper Of All Things said...

I'm glad I only have the one boy!!!

Crayl said...

I missed it, but happy B-day to Vinnie...I turned 40 on 08-08-08...pretty cool.

foolery said...

"Vinnie the Forger swims with the fishes."

That boy has doomed himself to a life of double- and triple-checking by every adult he knows, ha ha. Best of luck to your sister -- great story, Miss Hair!