Thursday, February 5, 2009

South Beach - Week 5




Week Five of the Blogger Butt Smackdown is in full swing! How is everyone doing?? I've read your blogs, and I KNOW that there is A LOT of weight being lost out there in the blogosphere! Whether it means losing inches or pounds, it seems that all of the participants are making progress. YAY!!


I haven't been on the scales for two weeks, but there are some subtle signs that my weight is continuing to drop. Last Sunday, we were getting ready to head over to Mom x 2's house for the annual Superbowl party. Both pairs of my "fat jeans" were in the dirty clothes, so I grabbed my "skinny jeans" out of the closet. ( Around the end of December, I had attempted to wedge myself into these particular jeans. I. Could. Not. Breathe. ) Much to my surprise, they fit!!! I was even able to bend over without turning purple from lack of oxygen! It was a GREAT day:)


There is one thing with which I am beginning to struggle. Cravings. Keep in mind that I really do enjoy all of the healthy foods that I have been devouring for the past month. However, I'm starting to crave carbs. Bad carbs. You know, pizza, burgers, fries....all of the things that made me overweight to begin with? I feel just like a little kid who wants to hide in the pantry and scarf down a dozen chocolate donuts before anyone notices:/


I've thought about giving in to these cravings on a small scale, but I'm afraid it will lead to bouts of overindulgence and rationalization. Why would I want to do something that will set me back?


Tell me about your BBS progress, and tell me what you are doing to stave off the cravings. What are you craving? What healthy foods are you substituting for the old, fatty ones? Is there a way to make lasagna a "good for you" food?


Talk to me...


16 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Congrats to YOU!!! You are doing so awesome!!!
I have way more skinny jeans than fat myself...uggghhh. I need to do something also....have not done much lately BUT eat crap. :)
Are you still enjoying the sugar/fat free puddings? Jello? are they not cutting your sweet tooth? That would be my biggest issue too....
good luck,
suz

Mental P Mama said...

I make lasagna with whole wheat noodles, ground turkey and low fat cheeses. It is delish. Not weighing and not commenting. It was my birthday month. Remember?

Bella Della said...

Skinny jeans- woohoo! Oh, that's a good moment.

I Am Woody said...

Hello, my name is The Incredible Woody and I am a carboholic!

But, on a positive note:

I love Skinny Cows!! They really help me battle my sweet tooth.

I'm with MPM - ground turkey, low fat cheeses (I usually use low fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta and low fat mozzarella) for lasagna. I use Smart Carb pastas because I just can't get used to the taste of whole wheat.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Go Slim!!!I have not been on the scales but do see some change in my clothes. yeehaw! And CdubbleU even noticed my fat roll is smaller! But as far as the carbs go if I have to have it I will just do a small amount to satisfy the urge and then get back on the wagon-I am not going to beat myself up-It really is all about moderation except for when it comes to adult beverages. Hope this cheap advive helps.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

and the advice too!

littletoesandcheerios said...

Congrats on the skinny jeans!!!

For lasagna I make it with wheat noodles..hard to find but we drive about an hour to an Amish market to get them. Organic sauce & FF Cott. & Mozz. cheese. Not as good as the fat kind, but edible. The only thing missing is the garlic bread, I either allow myself one piece or have a salad with it. I do pizza on wheat burrito shells and use small amount of sauce, veggies and FF Mozz. cheese.

You were RIGHT...a harmonica!

Suz Broughton said...

I'm proud of you. Probably best to not give in to cravings. I can imagine passing up french fries is hard.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

My comment got eaten up, so if this shows up as a duplicate I'm sorry.

I said congratulations on getting in your skinny jeans in only five weeks...regarding the bad cravings, why not eat one of those lean cuisine lasagnas, they're usually low calorie but taste like garlic with cardboard tossed in for texture. Better than nothing, though.

Also, I love Triscuits and since there is a hair of fiber in them, I consider them good for you. You could put a non-fat cream cheese spread with some salsa on top and have yourself a decent little snack.

Just don't eat the whole box of Triscuits at one sitting like I do.

Actually, just don't do anything I say and you'll be just fine!

Congratulations on your success!

Unknown said...

Woo hoo....skinny Momma. Veggie lasagna with WW noodles and fat free cottage cheese and low fat mozz.

I will be posting sometime about my totals for the past week and a half...hopefully tomorrow or on Friday. My clothes are hanging.

No, staying here this weekend...I would love to come up there sometime...but it is a stay at home weekend. :)

Unknown said...

You ROCK!! I'm so PROUD!!
Ican't say the same for me...I fell off the second week, I think...No matter...I know I will get this done..in my way in my time..I WILL DO THIS!!!

Unknown said...

Lasagna, and all other Italian dishes are considered good carbs if you don't thoroughly chew it. Just mush it around in your mouth to get all the taste out, then swallow.
Congratulations on the skinny jeans! I won't be weighing myself until I get back to Texas, but I'm watching my portions....you know, Baskin Robbins...just one scoop sundae.
I'm jealous about your skinny jeans...mine will never get beyond my knees.

The Good Eater said...

Congrats on the skinny jeans. You are doing great! I think I am on the right track. Eating healthy, exercising regularly. I feel better even if I don't look better.

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

You guys are doing awesome! Keep it up!

You could do lasagne roll ups--they're really good and kind of built in portion control. Substitute the ricotta with cottage cheese (SSG promises it's good). And dude, just MAKE yourself a really good burger, sit down and enjoy it. Sometimes those things get built up in our heads and you start going crazy if you keep denying, denying, denying.

I also notice I want burgers and pizza when I'm stressed out or feeling anxious about something ... but that might just be SSG. Hope that helps!

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

How awesome~skinny jeans:) YAY!!!
I know all too well about cravings, I want a (package) reeses really bad but I just grab the bag of rice cakes. Seems to be working thus far.

Keetha said...

Congrats on those skinny jeans!

I have to say that - well, first, I'm not on the South Beach Diet, so feel free to discount all of this - but I find I have to have the things I really love, even when they're really bad. I just enjoy less of them but enough to satisfy the craving. It seems to work out pretty well.